Work as an English teacher abroad – TESOL, TEFL and CELTA

Do you want to work abroad? Working as an English teacher is one of the most common jobs for students abroad, but many employers will demand a TESOL-certificate.

In this article we look at the certificates you can take to prepare for teaching English as a foreign language and get the accreditation you need to get a job as an English teacher abroad. The article was written in collaboration with International House Sydney who has long experience of teacher training with TESOL and CELTA courses.

What is Tesol, TEFL, TESL, and CELTA?

TESOL (originally: Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages), TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) and TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) are terms used to describe the English language teaching industry.

TESOL courses introduce you to current teaching methods, practical teaching ideas and a range of resources. It is designed for non-native speakers who want to learn more about the field of teaching and enter the English language teaching profession. No teaching experience is required.

After completing a TESOL course, you will receive a certificate to show that you have completed this English teacher training program. CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is the best-known and most widely undertaken TESOL/ TEFL/TESL-certificate of its kind in the world. CELTA courses are run by approved centers, based on specifications produced by Cambridge Assessment English, the same organization that organizes the Cambridge Exam and the IELTS-test.

Why should I take a TESOL certificate?

Reputable language schools often demand that you have a TESOL certificate such as CELTA to be employed as a teacher of English as a second language. CELTA opens doors to work in many English schools around the world.

English teachers are in high demand in many Asian countries such as Japan, Korea, and China. However, if you are not a native speaker of English, a TESOL Certificate (or similar) is demanded by most employers. Even for native English speakers, a CELTA certificate will make you more likely to get employed, and it can also give you a higher salary since the school knows that you have passed a certified teacher training program.

Why take your TESOL and CELTA courses at IH Sydney, Darwin, and Bondi?

The CELTA and TESOL courses at International House in Sydney, Bondi and Darwin, include 120 hours of face-to-face tuition in an experiential environment where the skills of classroom management are demonstrated by your trainers. To consolidate your learning, you teach at least two different levels of real classes during the course, with feedback provided by your trainers. Your English should be upper Intermediate level or above when you start the course.

CELTA graduates have global job opportunities within our family of International House schools. With over 155 private and independently owned schools spanning 55 countries International House is a pioneer of Teacher Training programs, and our courses remain the most highly regarded in the industry.

More information

Follow @dreamstudiesabroad on Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok, or Youtube to get updated about our new schools and articles.

TESOL CELTA TEFL      © Johan Asplund (the article was last updated 2023-09-05)
  • International House Australia
    International House is one of Australias bestregarded English language & Teacher Training centers with campuses Sydney City, Bondi Beach, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Byron Bay, & Darwin.
  • The latest articles

    Popular articles

    Popular schools

    Coming webinars

    Virtual Open House at EAHM Dubai
    Jul 10, 2024 3:00 PM (timezone: Europe/Stockholm)


    Information request - get help to study abroad

    Fill in this form if you want help find and apply to suitable schools in the country where you want to study. Then you also get our study abroad handbook and access to scholarships at our partner schools. You don't commit to anything - our help is free of charge.

    What and where do you want to study abroad:

    I want to get your newsletters with study abroad advice (max 1/month).

    You do not commit to anything by filling in the form above. We and/or some suitable schools/partners will contact you with more information. We will not share your details with anyone else. By submitting this request you accept our conditions and handling of personal data.