How do I apply for a student visa on my own?

Hi. I don't know if you can help me, but if you can, I would be interested in knowing your fees.

I have a place to study at the Yamasa Institute in Okazaki for two terms starting in October 2019 (I have signed up and paid).
I might want to extend that time further because I want to get a good JLPT grade.

I thought I would get a student visa, but I cannot because I need 150 hours of Japanese study and I do not have that yet. The school said I could go on my 90 day visa waiver and then apply to immigration in Nagoya for a student visa with my documents *after* I had studied enough hours (a few weeks at Yamasa), but they would not be able to help me.

The whole process is bewildering me and I simply don't know what to do. If there are things I need to do now, then I want to start doing them. I can't find any paid visa services, so I wondered if you could help or would know someone who could.

I don't even understand how to extend my 90 day visa waiver, which as a UK citizen I believe I can do. There's so much partial information on the internet. I would be grateful if you could help.

Asked by: Francis Davey, 4 years ago


We don't charge any fees to students. We give free information to the best of our abilities.

It is correct that there is a 150 hour rule, but in my experience it is usually not applied to students from Western countries so I am a bit surprised to hear that Yamasa insists on it. I know a lot of students who have changed their visa onsite in Japan from visa waiver to a student visa, so it is possible to do as the school suggests. When they say that they can't help you I think that they mean that you need to apply for this in person, i.e. that they cannot do it for you. However, they should definitely be able to give you the documents that you need and tell you where to go to complete the application. You apply for your student visa or the extension of your visa waiver at the nearest immigration office. Ask the school for the exact location.

So whether you prolong your visa waiver or change to a student visa you should be able to sort it out onsite by going to the immigration office, bring the relevant documents (passport, CoE, admission letter from the school etc) and tell them what you want to do. Make sure to read our advise in the article student visa to Japan regarding entering Japan on visa waiver. Ask your school for more infromation when you are in Japan.

Read more:

Answered by: Johan at DreamStudies, 2019-06-02 05:01:14 This is an accepted answer.

We answer all questions here free of charge to the best of our ability at the time that the question was asked. However, conditions can change and mistakes can be made. We cannot in any way be held liable for an problems you might encounter based on our information on this website.

Back to questions and answers about studying abroad 

Information request - get help to study abroad

Fill in this form if you want help find and apply to suitable schools in the country where you want to study. Then you also get our study abroad handbook and access to scholarships at our partner schools. You don't commit to anything - our help is free of charge.

What and where do you want to study abroad:

I want to get your newsletters with study abroad advice (max 1/month).

You do not commit to anything by filling in the form above. We and/or some suitable schools/partners will contact you with more information. We will not share your details with anyone else. By submitting this request you accept our conditions and handling of personal data.

Download our Study Abroad Handbook

Download a free study abroad handbook! 25 pages filled with advice to help you plan your studies abroad step by step. Click here.

Questions about Visas

Can my grandparents sponsor my japanese student visa?

i am canadian want to study high school 11 grade in state?

What exams do you need to take inorder to get a visa?

Can the new sponsor issue a new DS-2019?

Visa to Norway or europe?

Where is easy PR process Sweden or Finland ?

english course in sydney australia ?

Can an undocumented immigrant apply for a visa?

Can I apply for a Visa application form to study in Canada?


Can I hold two DS-2019?

Advice on sponsoring a high school student to Japan?

Can my father's friend sponsor me for student visa of Japan?

What are the visa process and course fees in Germany?

What is conditional offer letter for 12th student?

Do I need all diplomas (HS/College) for a visa to Japan?

Offer of a study permit?

Study + Work abroad?

Can I Study in Japan with the help of my friend?

Can I get a visa to Canada when I am 17 years old?

Can a spouse holding with A-2/ A-1 visa study in South Korea?

Can I get a Korean student visa ?

Is there a student visa with part time job?

Can you get a Japanese student visa with a GED?

Can a non-family member sponsor my visa to Japan?

Student visa to Japan for expats abroad? 2

Student visa to Japan for expats abroad?

How much money is needed in the account for the study visa?

How to get a new offer letter from university in Canada?

Can I get an Australian study visa having 4 years of gap?

Age limit for Student Visa?

can i apply for spain?

Can I get a degree abroad without enough money?

Can I convert a tourist visa to a student visa in Australia?

What are the prerequisites of diploma course in Australia?

Can I study in Korea?

Can a Tongan study in Korea?

Do I need to find accommodation for the whole year?

Will I get a student visa to Canada?

How can I get a work visa to Japan?

How do I apply for a student visa on my own?

Can I apply for an I20, after receiving 1 from another Uni?

How can i earn study visa?

Which work permit document do I need for Japan?

How to apply for an Australian Student Visa?

coe and other requirements for japan student visa?

How soon before my study visa can I enter South Korea?

Visa application process time?

Can you help me with an Australian Student Visa?

How can I get a student guardian visa to Japan?

Can I apply for a student visa with provisional results?

How much money do I actually need to prepare for CoE to Japan?

Can I get admission to a university in Japan?

Is biology necessary for bsc nursing in Australia?

What is the process to study in Australia?

Can I get visa for studying in USA?

Can i get a visa to the US if i am syrian?

Do I need a visa in the EU?

Do I need a visa if I am studying outside the EU?

Can you help me to get a visa?

How to apply for a student visa?

How do I apply for a student visa to the European Union?

How do I apply for a student visa to the United Kingdom?

How do I apply for a student visa to the US?

How do I apply for a student visa to Australia?

How do I apply for a student visa to Japan?

How do I apply for a student visa to Korea?

Popular schools