English in Totnes
English in Totnes (EiT) is a popular and friendly school set in the heart of Totnes, an alternative, environmentally aware and historic town in the countryside of Devon in SW England.
Why choose English in Totnes?
Totnes is a beautiful, historic and, we think, unique town. Set in the beautiful hills and valleys of Devon on the banks of the River Dart is an extraordinary community unlike any other. A busy centre for music, art, theatre and all forms of alternative and natural health, the town is committed to sustainable living and environmental responsibility. It is also full of history and sprinkled with magic.You will not find McDonalds or Starbucks here - instead, Totnes has small local artisan and boutique businesses, ancient historic buildings and a wide range of excellent bars, cafes and restaurants, not to mention its very own zero waste shop.
Totnes is easy to reach from all main international airports. We are on a direct train line from London Paddington and you can take a National Express coach from London Heathrow to Totnes.
Totnes' position makes it a great choice for a holiday destination. You can visit the beautiful South Devon coast with the beaches of the English Riviera a half hour bus ride away and also go for walks and hike in the unspolit wilderness of Dartmoor. The historic cities of Exeter and Plymouth are 20 minutes away by train for interesting museums and great shopping.
We make sure you get to see all that our area offers through our teacher-led excursions and activities- come to Totnes for the holdiay of a lifetime!
Programmes and courses
Our General English course for adults (16 years+) is the basis for our year-round tuition and offers15 x 60 minutes class tuition per week in classes of maximum 12 students at different levels. Included in the fees are:
- all materials
- 1 hour Study Club per week- an all level speaking and listening class
- 1 hour Prounciation club per week- an all nationality fluency and pronunciation class
- 3 evening activities- with a teacher or native speaker- for walks, pub quizzes, live music, comedy clubs, knitting bees and more- sometime a small charge for entrance
- a free half day afternoon excursion to Dartmoor or the beach every week
- a full day Saturday excursion- usual cost £25-£35 a head-depending on excursion and activity
You can add:
- Intensive English- 6 x 60 minutes tuition in the afternoons Mon, Tues, Wed and Frid to prepare for an exam or to get an IELTS score if you need this for work or university
- part-time or full time unpaid work placement to add to your CV
Or why not do something completely different and do a week or two of Cultural Experience- lessons outside the classroom in the castles, gardens and museums in Devon.
In the summer- July and August- we offer a wide range of English plus activities- for students from 4 years- 21 years- see our website for details.
We welcome the whole family to study at our school in the summer and we run English courses from 4 years upwards.The whole family can study in the same building, doing different courses so all you have to do is to decide which course os best for you!
You can choose between:
- homestay accommodation- this is suitable for a small family group of one parent with 1 or 2 children, or
- cottage accommodation- this is suitable for any size group and allows a wide range of ages to travel together- maybe a grandma looking after the children for the summer or a mum and dad looking for a family holiday
Run as commercial enterprises therefore making them subject to stringent checks by local tourism authorities as well as our own quality inspection, thus making your stay clean, comfortable and unforgettable!
Subject to availability - book early to get the best deal and to guarantee a cottage.
The text above is written by the school. Fill out an information request if you are interested in this school. Then you will receive more information from us or the school and you will be eligible for our discounts and special offers.