Master programs abroad
Master Degrees are the perfect study abroad program. High status but shorter and less costly than a Bachelor program. Here we take a closer look at Master programs abroad.
Three reasons to take a Master’s Degree abroad?
- Improve your resume: a Master’s Degree stands out in your CV, and so does the study abroad experience. Studies show that it is easier to get a job if you have studied abroad. If you take a Master’s Degree at a renowned university, you will top up your CV and become very attractive in the job market.
- Choose from many different courses: there are a lot of Master programs to choose from abroad. Either you can continue to study the major from you Bachelor Degree and perhaps prepare for a D, or you can study a supplementary subject to get a wider appeal on the job market. For example, if you have a Bachelor in Computer Science you can supplement it with a Master in Business Management.
- Take a full program abroad in a short period of time: you can complete a Master’s Degree in 1 to 2 years. So it is a smaller investment in time and money than taking a Bachelor's Degree abroad. It is also easier to get scholarships and extra jobs in your school on graduate
What is a Master and how long does it take?
A Master is an advanced university program that you can take after you have achieved a Bachelor’s Degree. A Master program is usually 1-2 years long.
What is the difference between undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate?
In the United States, undergraduate refers to university studies of 3-4 years for a Bachelor degree), while graduate studies include both Masters and Ph.D. Outside the US, the term postgraduate is used for Master level programs and Ph.D. So if you take a Master in the United States, you are classified as a graduate student, but if you take a Master in England, you are a postgraduate student.
What is an MBA?
The MBA is one of the world's most popular master's programs. The abbreviation stands for the Master of Business Administration. This Degree is primarily for professionals who want to take the next step in their career. It is a common prerequisite that you should have a couple of years work experience to be admitted to an MBA, so the average age is higher than on regular Master program.
An MBA usually consists of two years full-time studies, but there are also intensive programs in 12-18 months. An MBA prepares students for management positions. You study management in various aspects and develop your analytical ability. The program is broader than a regular Master. The MBA usually includes subjects such as Business, Accounting, Finance, HR, Marketing, Statistical analysis, etc. Some MBA programs have a specific focus. Otherwise, it is common to have some elective courses during the second year, such as entrepreneurship, international business or market research. An MBA is primarily a taught program where you work a lot with case studies, but it usually involves a final research project as well.
Here you can find schools offering MBA-programs.
The admission requirements vary among different schools and programs. Before you can apply for a Master you must have finished a Bachelor's Degree. An MBA sometimes requires that you have a few years of work experience. Different standardized tests are required to enter a Master program at some schools. GMAT is a common requirement for MBA and some other Business Masters, GRE is usually demanded for STEM-programs (science, technology, engineering and maths), and LSAT is required by Law Schools in the United States and Canada.
Also, you must meet the English requirements for TOEFL or IELTS, which are often higher at Masters level than at undergraduate level. For more details, see the admission requirements of the school where you want to study.
Scholarships for Master programs abroad
Scholarships are a great way to reduce costs when taking a Master abroad. It is usually easier to get scholarships on graduate / postgraduate level than on undergraduate. Your school is the premier scholarship donor. It may sometimes be possible to get an assistantship and work as a research/teaching assistant in exchange for a scholarship. Read more in our guide: scholarships for studying abroad
Through our partnerships we can offer you the following scholarships and discounts for Master programs abroad:
- Lincoln University, Oakland: $300 discount plus the opportunity to apply for the school's scholarships
- BHMS, Business and Hotel Management School, Luzern: a scholarship of 1000 CHF on their MBA and Master Programs in Hospitality and Business
You are also welcome to apply for DreamStudies' Study Abroad Scholarship
How do I apply for a Master program abroad?
It is not difficult to apply for a study abroad program on your own. Especially not if you already have a Bachelor’s Degree and have gained some life experience.
Follow the steps in our checklist for studying abroad and check the admission requirements of the school that you want to apply to.
Fill out our information request form if you need help with the application. We and our partners can help you to find the right school and apply to most schools in the English speaking world.