Student visa for studying abroad

When you study abroad you usually need a visa. Without the right visa your study dream will be cut short already at the airport. Read more about student visas here.

The information below is based on the latest information we have. However visa regulations can be changed at any time so always double check the visa rules of the country where you want to study with your school or the country's embassy. We can not be held responsible for you not having the right visa.


Do I need a visa in the EU?

If you are a citizen of a EU or Schengen country no visa is needed. However if you are not a citizen of one of those European countries you will need to apply for a Student Schengen Visa.

To get an EU student visa you will need to show that you have enough money to cover your living costs. For example, to get a student visa to Germany you currently need to put 8640 Euro into a locked account in Germany. From that account you can then withdraw up to 720 Euro per month while you study there. You will also need some additional money for the trip to Germany, insurance etc. So in total you will need at least 10000 Euro per year to study in Germany, even if tuition fees are almost free.


Do I need a visa if I am studying outside the EU?

Yes outside the EU you are almost always obliged to apply for a visa to study. The only exception is if you are going to take a short language course, then you can study on a tourist visa or visa vaiwer in some countries, double check this with your school. Courses that are longer than three months require a student visa almost everywhere.


Can you help me to get a visa?

We help you with free information on this page and in our visa guides for popular countries (see below). However we cannot do the visa application for you or answer detailed questions about your personal application.


How to apply for a student visa?

We have written extensive guides on how to apply for a:

Read more here about student visa to Schengen countries (most EU countries plus Iceland, Norway and Switzerland). For other countries the procedure usually looks like this:

  1. The first step is to apply to and get accepted by a foreign school. After you are admitted to the school and have paid the necessary fees the school will send you the visa documentation you need.
  2. Then you can apply for a student visa which often can be done online these days. When you apply you will need your passport and visa documents from your school. In many cases you also need other documents like insurance, birth certificate, certified grade reports, bank account statements, photos etc. Each country has different rules. Check the visa information on the embassy’s website.
  3. Almost all countries demand that you pay a visa fee before your application can be processed.
  4. Visit the embassy to hand in your documents and in some cases make a visa interview. Some countries allows you to do the entire application online but many countries still demand that you visit their embassy. You might also be requested to make a health checkup.
  5. In our experience you can often get your visa decision within a couple of weeks of completing the application but the time will differ depending on where you apply, how big their workload is etc. The entire process from school application to a finished visa will take some time so don’t apply too late.

If you think that it sounds complicated there are visa agencies that can help you with your application to many countries in exchange for a fee.

Study Abroad Handbook

Our study abroad handbook helps you plan your studies abroad. 21 pages filled with study abroad advice. Download it for free here!

Related articles

  • Student visa to Korea
    Do you want to go to university in Korea? In this article, we look at what visa you need and how to apply for a student visa to South Korea, step by step.
  • Student visa to Japan
    Do you want to study in Japan? Then you will most likely need a visa. In this guide, we take you through the application process step by step. We can also help with schools in Japan.
  • Student visa to Australia
    If you are going to study in Australia for a longer period of time you will need to apply for a student visa. Here we guide you through the application process step by step.
  • Student visa to USA
    If you are going to study in the USA for more than a couple of weeks you usually need to apply for an F-1 student visa. Here we guide you through the application process step by step.
  • The latest articles

    Popular schools

    Coming webinars

    Virtual Open Day: Music Performance & Songwriting at BIMM Germany
    Dec 14, 2021 6:00 PM (timezone: Europe/Berlin)

    Virtual Open Day – Music Business at BIMM Institute Germany
    Dec 15, 2021 6:00 PM (timezone: Europe/Berlin)

    Virtual Open Day – Music Production at BIMM Institute Germany
    Dec 16, 2021 6:00 PM (timezone: Europe/Berlin)


    Information request

    Fill in this form if you want help find and apply to suitable schools in the country where you want to study. Then you also get our study abroad handbook, free of charge.

    What and where do you want to study abroad:

    I want to get your newsletters with study abroad advice (max 1/month).

    You do not commit to anything by filling in the form above. We and/or some suitable schools/partners will contact you with more information. We will not share your details with anyone else. By submitting this request you accept our conditions and handling of personal data.